I know I shouldn’t just repost to post this, but it pretty much sums up ALL of my thoughts.
1. Thou shalt not add anyone to a newsletter list without his or her consent.
2. Thou shalt not send a LinkedIn invite that says, “I’d like to add you to my professional network.”
3. Thou shalt not post news releases as blog posts.
4. Thou shalt not talk about yourself in communications.
5. Thou shalt not use Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn accounts as news feeds for an organization.
6. Thou shalt not create newsletters that talk about how great you, your leadership, products, or services are without putting them in the context of the buyer.
7. Thou shalt not build lists, fans, followers, connections or circles just for the sake of numbers.
8. Thou shalt not abuse your online power.
9. Thou shalt not email bloggers, journalists, influencers, or target audiences without doing research, building relationships, and giving them something of value.
10. Thou shalt not engage in black hat email marketing.